Saturday, November 23, 2013

On Blu-ray/DVD -- one of James Gandolfini's final frolics: Geoffrey Fletcher's VIOLET & DAISY

A movie I liked very much, though the majority of my critical brethren did not, is now out on DVD and Blu-ray, and on the latter it looks as smashing as you might expect, with the details all there and the colors bright and rich. Further, since VIOLET & DAISY was one of James Gandolfini's final films, and he is simply, and as usual, terrific in it, this should make it a must-see for his many fans. I won't belabor the point by repeating myself, so if you missed my original review, you can find it here.

Watching the film a second time makes me admit that I might have slightly over-rated it upon initial viewing. But it remains quite a lovely, sad, hopeful and original piece of work. Its writer/director Geoffrey Fletcher should be proud, and you'll probably be surprised by the movie and immediately swept away in the wake of those oh-so-religious pizza delivery girls....

Violet & Daisy, from Cinedigm, running 88 minutes plus some extra features, is available now on DVD and Blu-ray and on some streaming sites, as well (Amazon Instant Video, for instance, but not yet streamable from Netflix).

No comments: